Wednesday, September 3, 2008

GOATS, not BOATS

I've gotten two requests for more posts (ok, they were from my parents, but they count, right?), so I'm attempting to write a new blog post. I guess I could tell you all about Rwanda, but for some reason, I'd prefer to just put up photos and let you figure it out from there. That's probably not very sympathetic towards my devoted fans (again, might just be my parents), but it's so hard to sum up an entire weekend in one post. Let me give you this much: I was so thankful to get back to Uganda. Ugandans speak ENGLISH. Rwandans DO NOT speak English. And neither Megan nor I speak French (and the local language? You've got to be kidding me). It was a beautiful weekend full of buses, some relaxation, decent food (the best Cokes I've ever tasted) and incredible beauty. But that's where I'll leave it. (And photos will be posted soon.)

Ok, so what have I been up to since my social group disappeared and my traveling buddy went back to law school? Well, the honest truth is not much. But last weekend I happened to venture out of the comfort of my apartment to none other than the Royal Ascot Goat Races. Unfortunately I don't have photos of this hilarious experience, but I'll try to describe it. If you've ever seen Pretty Woman or My Fair Lady, start there—picture the polo and/or horse race scenes. Except instead of white, high-class Brits or Southern Californians, put in 80% high-class Ugandans dressed to the nines, and sprinkle in the other 20%—well-dressed diplomats, British business men with their families, and Americans who actually left their safari gear at home and finally opted for the polo's and loafers. Lots and lots of people. Everywhere. To these add some loud music, a number of large circus tents filled with more people, food and free beer. And then take away the horses and add goats. Yes, goats. You could even bet on the goats! And this was legitimate betting—computerized and everything. But one problem: goats don't race. They graze. So to get the goats to actually run around the gymnasium-sized track they were prodded from behind with a mattress. As I am vertically challenged, I saw very little of the races, but the little I saw was very entertaining. I went with a number of friends and friends-of-friends, and I really loved the conversations I had over great Turkish food. So I have officially attended the Royal Ascot Goat Races. Not to be confused with boats...or horses.

Other than racing goats and lots of down time, life has been pretty simple. I have been thinking a lot about what's ahead and what's left of my time here, and I've found myself reflecting on other experiences that have started at this time of year. Besides school, many of my other big adventures have started in the fall. Seven years ago I was trying to adapt to my new host family, the German culture and desperately striving to improve my German. Three years ago today I woke up in Oxford for the first time, excited to explore what turned out to be one of my favorite places in the world. And a year ago, as I ran errands and babysat for my favorite kiddos, I was anticipating moving to Washington D.C. to start my first internship with IJM. I never would have guessed that it would lead to where I am now.

Now I’m in the working world. I have officially worked through my first summer—if this isn’t a rite of passage into adulthood, I don’t know what is. As I doubt I’ll ever be a teacher, I guess I’ll have to get used to the “no summer” concept. Although I missed the summer season, nothing could keep me from being aware of the start of September. September is one of my favorite times of year. It brings new beginnings, and has always brought new challenges (see the above paragraph if you’re unclear about what I mean). Even though I’ve been in the same place for 8 months, I hope the trend will continue this September. I hope for new challenges. Hopefully there will be new friends and new adventures. I don’t want to get caught in a mundane routine, I want to learn. September’s here, so let the learning continue!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

1. Thanks for the "boat/goat" clarification."
2. You can add me to your fanclub so now you have 3.

Michelle James said...

Megan! Loved this last post! So, wish I could have seen the goat races with you! What an adventure you are truly having! I can't wait to hear what God has in store for you next!!!
Love & Blessings,
Michelle