What an incredible relief. Last week one of my best friends from college, Phoebe, flew thousands of miles from San Diego, California, to Kampala, Uganda, to visit me. Granted that she and her family had already planned a 3 week vacation in East Africa, I still felt incredibly special to have her diverge from her family’s plans just to visit me here.
It is amazing to me just how well God knows what we need and when we need it. The week before Phoebe’s arrival was basically the worst week I’d had yet. Due to a number of circumstances, I was feeling beat up, worn out, and simply done trying to make life “work” here. I had anticipated needing to get away with Phoebe—away from my Kampala bubble. I had booked a room for us at a resort on the Nile River, but plans fell through. But as we prepared for a few more days in my flat, my boss invited us to house-sit her very westernized home for the weekend while she was on vacation!
Two nights in a deliciously comfortable bed (it felt so indulgent it should have been fattening) and two days spent lounging on cushy couches, gabbing with my friend, was just what the doctor ordered. Not only could I relax but I wasn’t required to have my “game face” on. I was free to be myself with someone who knows me well and loves me in spite of myself. I was able to process some of my recent experiences with an experienced traveler. I was also able to celebrate incredible developments in her life and to listen as she opened up about the past few months. We talked about work, travels, friends, relationships, heartache, challenges and blessings.
Phoebe is someone who encourages me to be a better person. 4 days with her taught me so much about how I want to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way whether it be an Ultimate Frisbee game, chance to improve my public speaking skills, a Bible study group, time with a new acquaintance, whatever. I’m not just talking big opportunities like jobs or world-travelling adventures, although those shouldn’t be excluded from possibility—who am I to limit possibility? I’m talking about living daily life with greater abandon, with an eagerness to experience all that life has to offer. That seems to be how Phoebe lives.
Last week was a very relaxing, rejuvenating week, and I am so grateful for it. The summer is whizzing by in the busyness of work, and it was wonderful to have a few days to unwind with a close friend. As I come to the half-way mark of my time in Uganda in just a few days, it is good to be reminded that although life has trying periods, I have a great deal to be thankful for.
No comments:
Post a Comment