Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Birthday Splash

Thank you to all of you who wished me a happy birthday on Sunday. I was honestly a bit anxious about celebrating my birthday away from my family for the first time, but it turned out to be a day of abundant blessings in spite of my location.

Knowing that two of my good friends here in Kampala would actually be in the States on my birthday, I asked my boss, Ally, (who is not only my boss but also a good friend) if she would be up for celebrating with me on Sunday. I had initially imagined a simple afternoon--lunch and a movie perhaps. But Ally very selflessly told me that we could do anything I wanted to do, and even suggested some more creative options. After thinking about it, I decided to go to the Speke Resort in Munyonyo, which is a little area outside of Kampala, right on Lake Victoria. I hadn't been down to the lake yet, so I thought this would be a great opportunity.

Sunday rolled around and being a lazy girl, I slept in, skipped church, and went for a run instead. I also got to chat online with a good friend, which really started the day off well. Around noon Ally rolled into my pot-hole punctured driveway to pick me up for our afternoon adventure and I was met with a huge hug and enthusiastic "Happy 23rd Birthday!" After our 30 minute drive, the rest of the afternoon was spent by the biggest swimming pool I've ever seen, at a resort that looked like it could have been in Hawaii.


We had lunch by the pool, read 4-month old magazines, chatted, and swam. I definitely got tanner (in spite of the SPF 50) and have sprouted a few hundred more freckles (I know, I didn't think it was possible either). Ally even presented me with a birthday gift and paid for lunch. I just felt so cared for and loved by her--it was so special to have a friend make such a big deal out of my birthday. I had psyched myself up for a low-key, unimportant birthday, but she wouldn't even consider such a thought! The afternoon was splendidly relaxing and being half an hour away from my house and the craziness of Kampala, it felt like a mini-vacation.

After the pool outing I treated myself to strawberry frozen yogurt and left-over pizza from Friday's girl's night. Then Sunday evening I got to talk to my parents and read more Facebook messages and e-mails from friends and family.

I never once felt lonely or sad on my birthday, which is kind of what I expected being so far away from home. But I was so blessed by special conversations, Ally's super celebratory outing, and fun e-mails, that I never felt lonely. Thank you again to all of you who took a moment in the past few days to wish me a happy birthday--it was such a gift to receive each of your kind wishes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: